Thank You

January 19, 2018

Days 72-74: The Finish Line

January 14, 2018

Please reload

You Might Also Like:

Day 8: Up Salt Creek

September 26, 2017



What a glorious morning! There was some pretty heavy rain that came through overnight but so far all of my gear has held up excellently, from the one-man tent donated by Greg and Brigid Kramer to the 30 L Tuff Duffel bag donated by One Planet Gear (Melbourne). Seeing as it was a bit wet, I had a slower start to the day to let the tent dry out a little in the wind and the sun. Still, I was on the road by 8.30 am and the kilometres were melting under my feet.


I knew I'd have no motivational issues as I set out as I already had the day's destination in mind. All things going well I'd be arriving at Salt Creek about 20 km away and treating myself to some hot chips and a ginger beer. But not long after I started walking I was stopped by two 4WDs with caravans who had seen me as they were coming the previous way yesterday. I told them all about the project, about the nesting colony of regionally threatened Fairy Terns they were passing (a beautiful little shorebird - look them up!), about BioR and about the journey. They were delighted to hear all about it and I was delighted to tell them! They were very generous in their donations. Next, 5 minivans full of Adelaide University students passed me just a few kilometres from Salt Creek, honking their horns and putting a smile on my dial. I've organised to stay with this Ecology II class lead by Jose Facelli, one of my previous lecturers. I didn't' know they'd be here until just a few days ago, the timing couldn't have been better!


At Salt Creek I got my chips (the serving could have been bigger having walked all day), ginger beer and contact details from a family in Tasmania who were on their way to Kangaroo Island. They offered a bed to sleep in if I'm passing their way later in the trip, and I certainly hope that I am! Not long after leaving Salt Creek I was stopped by another gentleman, David, who briefly heard about the cause and pulled out his change for me. We then fumbled about taking a photo and uploading it to Facebook - I left as he was still doing this - and I never saw him pass me again the rest of the day. I hope he's still not figuring it out on the side of the road!


The rest of the day flew by and I think my total kms, as yesterday were up around 36-37 km. And the body is feeling good, which makes me feel GREAT.


At this rate I'll be in Kingston in two days!

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Pinterest
Please reload

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now